TURKEY GEARS UP FOR LANDMARK COUP TRIAL
- Published:14 Aralık 2010, Salı
- Updated:14 Aralık 2010, Salı
Some 200 soldiers, among them senior commanders, go on trial Thursday in a landmark case in Turkish history to answer charges of a 2003 plot to topple the Islamist-rooted government.
The probe has marked the toughest action so far against the once-omnipotent Turkish army, which has unseated four governments since 1960 but has seen its clout wane under the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP).
Marred by serious doubts over the authenticity of some documents prosecutors rely on, the case has fuelled political tensions and deepened mistrust between the staunchly secularist military and the AKP, the offshoot of a banned Islamist movement.
For supporters, the probe is a long-due push to force the generals out of politics and under civilian control, while opponents say it is a deliberate campaign to disable the army and remove a major stumbling block for AKP ambitions to Islamise Turkey.
The 196 suspects risk 15 to 20 years in jail for "attempting to overthrow the government or prevent it from carrying out its duties through the use of force and violence."
They include both serving and retired officers, among them acting generals and admirals as well as the ex-chiefs of the navy and the air force.
The prosecution argues the coup plan, codenamed "Operation Sledgehammer," was drawn up and discussed at the First Army base in Istanbul shortly after the AKP came to power in November 2002 amid fears it would undermine the secular system.
It says the suspects planned to "pave the way for a military takeover by plunging the country into chaos and unrest" and singles out the First Army's then commander, retired general Cetin Dogan, as the mastermind.
The soldiers allegedly plotted to carry out false-flag bomb attacks on two Istanbul mosques and down a Turkish jet over the Aegean to provoke tensions with Greece, hoping to discredit the AKP and garner public support for a coup.
Following the coup, the army would take over key posts and set up a "national consensus government" that would eventually hold elections, according to the indictment.
Dogan has denied the charges, arguing that papers from a seminar on a contingency plan based on a scenario of tensions with Greece and Islamist unrest at home have been doctored to look like a coup plan.
The seminar, held in March 2003 at the First Army base in Istanbul, was attended by officers serving in the city and neighbouring regions.
The plot was first reported in January by the Taraf newspaper, which said that an anonymous source had brought the documents -- papers, CDs and audio tapes -- in a suitcase.
The daily, which routinely targets the military, handed over the documents to prosecutors, prompting a large-scale police operation in February.
The audio tapes reportedly reveal that soldiers who attended the seminar spoke of a growing Islamist threat and discussed martial law and a new government, issues not supposed to be on the agenda of the gathering.
But analysts have cast doubt on other evidence, especially a series of anachronistic expressions in some papers, suggesting that some documents may be an outright fabrication.
In one striking example, a colonel accused of having attended the seminar has said he was on an overseas duty at the time and that his middle name which appears in the papers was not officially registered until 2007.
Critics point also at a list of entities the coup plotters planned to control which features associations and hospitals that either did not exist or had different names in 2003.
Some have questioned how the officers could have planned a coup with army units based only in the Istanbul region.
Dozens of suspects, among them soldiers, academics and journalists, are already on trial as part of a separate probe into a purported secularist network accused of having planned bombings and assassinations to destabilise the AKP and prompt a military coup.
ISTANBUL - AFP
- President Gül: The Gezi Park project is on hold, the protests should stop
The messages have been received, stated President Gül, who also called for an end to the street demonstrations. The president also delivered a message to Alevi citizens who are objecting to the name given to the Third Bosporus Bridge by stating, We could name another big project after Pir Sultan Abdal.
- Finance Minister Şimşek: It is difficult to comprehend why British intelligence would monitor a minister
Finance Minister Şimşek commented on allegations reported in The Guardian that he was monitored by U.K. intelligence, by stating that Foreign Ministry officials are taking the necessary measures.
- There is no censorship in Turkeys democracy
While England is rattled by the censorship scandal in the national press, AK Party Spokesman and Deputy Chairman Hüseyin Çelik has announced that there will be no censorship on social media or classic media as Turkey, which now has a mature democracy, has left such issues long in the past.
- Criminal complaint against Hüseyin Aygün
AK Party Istanbul Deputy Bülent Turan has filed a criminal complaint with the Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor against CHP Tunceli Deputy Hüseyin Aygün for insults in the virtual realm and for inspiring public hatred, enmity and degradation.
- Who is it that incites social crises in growing economic nations such as Mexico, Brazil and Turkey?
The innocent protest which began at the start of the month in Brazil, as it did as well in Turkey, has since transitioned into a point of interest for its dark demonstrations. Both nations, as they suffer from simultaneous protests, stand out for having bright and promising economies.
- We have learned lessons from these events and will prevent any disintegration
Prime Minister Erdoğan stated on Tuesday that the Gezi protests are part of a professionally organized operation and vowed to hold those behind the events accountable by law. The Prime Minister also said that the police in Turkey have passed the test of democracy.
- Our democracy was not harmed in these attacks
Responding to the European Parliament resolution condemning the police crackdown on protests sparked by redevelopment plans for Gezi Park, Prime Minister Erdoğan stated They are confused. They have no fidelity, and added that European politicians and institutions instantly laid down their masks in order to provoke events.
- Standing man!
One mans passive defiance by way of standing in place in Taksim Square and looking straight at the Atatürk Culture Center, quickly turned into a social media phenomenon last night.
- What is Claudia Roth doing in Taksim?
Infuriating Germans, Green Party Co-Chair Roth was subjected to pepper spray in Istanbul. Commenting on the incident, German nationals say, It turns out Erdoğan was right in saying that there are foreign forces triggering Taksim, and Roths presence is now proof. Other comments include, If Abdullah Gül showed up at Occupy Frankfurt of if Erdoğan was involved in the Stuttgart 21 demonstrations, the ground would shake!
- In just one day Taksim gets 20 trees and 152,000 flowers
The Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality has been working continuously since last night on clearing and landscaping Taksim Square and Gezi Park.
- EU Minister Bağiş: Every crisis has made Erdoğan stronger
Explaining that the Gezi Park protests were planned six months ago, EU Minister Bağış states, These protests are an attempt to trigger a move which will end in regime change in Turkey. Bağış also discussed Prime Minister Erdoğans style with the Wall Street Journal.
- What do young supporters of Erdoğan think?
They came by land, they came by sea, and they came to hear their Prime Minister speak. Yesterdays Kazlıçeşme rally in support of Prime Minister Erdoğan saw over a million supporters come out to the square with AK Party and Turkish flags in hand, giving true sentiment to the figures of Erdoğans support rate.
- Protesters are using weapons
Istanbul Governor Mutlu is calling on protesters to refrain from responding to calls on social media to gather in Taksim because he says; peace has been established once again in Istanbul.
- Erdoğan receives unprecedented support from Istanbul residents
Nearly a million Istanbul residents flocked out to see Prime Minister Erdoğan speak at an AK Party rally in Kazlıçeşme on Sunday. Istanbul residents want the vandalism of protesters destroying and setting the city on fire to come to an end as soon as possible. Meanwhile, they also support Erdoğans referendum proposal.