EGYPTIANS STAGE BIG PROTEST, DISMISS POWER PLAN
- Published:09 Şubat 2011, Çarşamba
- Updated:09 Şubat 2011, Çarşamba
Egyptians staged one of their biggest protests yet on Tuesday demanding President Hosni Mubarak step down now, their wrath undiminished by the vice president's announcement of a plan to transfer power.
Protesters, many moved by a Google executive's tearful account of his detention by security forces, poured into Cairo's Tahrir Square to pack a space that can hold a quarter of a million people.
While the government refuses to budge on the demonstrators' main demands, Vice President Omar Suleiman promised there would be no reprisals against the protesters for their three-week-old campaign to eject Mubarak, 82, after 30 years in office.
But they dismissed his promises, accusing the government of playing for time, and swore they would not give up until the current "half revolution" was complete.
By bringing at least as many people onto the streets as the last big demonstration last Friday, the protesters showed their movement has not lost momentum. The next big test will be whether as many people can be mobilized on Friday.
U.S. Vice President Joe Biden also added pressure, pressing Suleiman for an orderly transition of power that is "prompt, meaningful, peaceful and legitimate," the White House said, and calling for the immediate lifting of Egypt's emergency law.
Freed Google executive Wael Ghonim addressed the cheering crowd.
"You are the heroes. I am not a hero, you are the heroes," said Ghonim, who broke down as he described being blindfolded during 12 days of detention.
Ghonim has for now at least been thrust to the forefront of a protest movement that has yet to produce a leader. Activists say Ghonim was behind a Facebook group that helped to inspire the wave of protests. His interview also appears to have persuaded many Egyptians to side with the demonstrations.
"Ghonim's tears have moved millions and turned around the views of those who supported (Mubarak) staying," website Masrawy.com wrote two hours after the interview. In that short span, 70,000 people signed up to Facebook pages supporting him.
Later Ghonim expressed his sorrow for the victims of the violence that has claimed an estimated 300 lives.
"I saw young people dying and now the president has a responsibility to see what the people demand," he told Reuters.
Google had launched a service to help Egyptians circumvent government restrictions on using the social network Twitter, enabling them to dial a telephone number and leave a voice mail that would then be sent on the online service.
The state news agency said 34 political prisoners had been released, the first to be set free since Mubarak promised reforms to quell the popular uprising.
The White House called on Egypt to release all arrested protesters and journalists immediately.
- A search for survivors in Oklahoma
Pre-dawn emergency workers searched feverishly for survivors in the rubble of homes,...
- Turkey summons four Israeli generals for Mavi Marmara trial
An Istanbul court has requested Turkeys Foreign Ministry issue a summons to Israel...
- Syria taken to Geneva
I had hoped, that the Erdoğan-Obama meetings would handle more economic topics and...
- Post visit observations on Erdoğan's U.S. trip
Ömer Taşpinar, writing from Washington...
- Prime Minister Erdoğan visits Silicon Valley
On his highly publicized trip to the United States, Prime Minister Erdoğans latest...
- Over 1.5 million refugees result from the war in Syria
Since the start of the war last year, the number of refugees fleeing Syria has reached...
- There is no business for companies that work with the Greeks
During his trip to the United States, Prime Minister Erdoğan made his message clear...
- Neo-Nazi trials defense continue to put on a display
In the third hearing of the ongoing neo-Nazi NSU trial in Germany, defense attorneys...
- Property in Istanbuls Ortaköy returned to minority Greek community
The EU Ministrys Ortaköy office, which hails a view of the Bosphorus, has been returned...
- John Kerry condemns the Reyhanli attacks
We heavily condemn the attacks. We (the United States) will find the perpetrators...
- A transition plan without Syrias al-Assad
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry has announced that a consensus has been reached...
- Davutoğlu stern against Assad in Jordan
We will not be satisfied if any member of the Assad administration is involved in...
- Assad seeking a country for exile
As the conflict ensues in Syria, President Bashar al-Assad is stated to be negotiating...
- Fast reflexes by Davutoğlu
Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu was the first to come to the aid of Burkina Fasos...